I’m kind of a listaholic. I’m never at peace unless I’m working toward the next thing and have a good sense of where I’m headed next, which is why it should be no surprise that I’ve been keeping a bucket list for the last few years.
If you’ve never heard about 101 in 1001, it’s a bucket list of 101 things to do in 1001 days (or approximately 2.75 years.) I learned about the idea from Mackenzie Horan of Design Darling back in 2013 when I created my first one (see it here.)
This is one of the best ways I know to make sure you’re living your dreams (big or small!) and I can’t wait to start crossing things off. I’m even more excited the second time around!
Start Date: May 22, 2016
End Date: February 27, 2019
1. Get my driver’s license.
2. See an opera.
3. See a ballet performance.
4. Carve a pumpkin.
5. Go to a Boston Bruins hockey game.
6. Go to a New York Rangers hockey game.
7. Learn to swim.
8. Study for the GMAT.
9. Frame and display my collection of prints and paintings.
10. Print some of my travel photos.
11. Get a hanging plant.
12. Have a spa day with mom. (December 2016)
13. Read all 37 Shakespeare plays. [4/37]
14. Read 50 books, not counting Shakespeare. [31/50]. (See what books I’ve read here on Goodreads)
15. Continue my monthly book club with Jordan.
16. Read the Bible from beginning to end.
17. Buy a piece of art from Jonny.
18. Decorate my new apartment.
19. Create a capsule closet. (See my summer capsule wardrobe here.)
20. Donate blood.
21. Volunteer with two non-profit organizations.
22. Meditate daily for at least one month.
23. Develop a workout routine and maintain it for at least 3 months.
24. Run a 10K.
25. Take an aerial silks class.
26. Call my relatives at least once a month.
27. Reconnect with five old friends. [3/5] 28. Reconnect with a former teacher.
29. Get an accountant. (February 2017)
30. Visit 5 new states. [1/5 – Chicago, July 2016]
>31. Visit 5 new countries.
32. Use my rewards points to book a flight. (March 2017)
33. Travel solo.
34. Go on vacation with my mom. (July 2016)
35. Go on a road trip with friends.
36. Be able to speak French at least conversationally.
37. Start learning another language.
38. Take a self-guided food tour in Jamaica.
39. Document the experience.
40. Go to Ladurée in Paris.
41. Go to Positano.
42. Go to Japan.
43. Visit a friend in another city.
44. Visit a U.S. national park.
45. Spend a day doing touristy things in NYC.
46. Go see Shakespeare in the Park at Central Park. (June 2016)
47. Visit the Cloisters. (August 2016)
48. Visit The New Whitney. (June 2016)
49. Go biking in Central Park or Battery Park.
50. Explore a new neighborhood. (Inwood, August 2016)
51. Try five new restaurants in NYC. (La Esquina, Cafeteria, Casellula, El Cantinero, Guadalupe Restaurant)
52. Try five new cocktail bars in NYC. [1/5 -The Dead Rabbit] 53. Go to Fire Island.
54. Go to the top of the Empire State Building.
55. Go ice skating in Central Park.
56. Spend a weekend upstate.
57. See three more Broadway shows. (Aladdin, 2017)
58. Learn to make five traditional Jamaican foods from scratch. [1/5 – calalloo]
59. Take a cooking class.
60. Cook/bake 10 new recipes.
61. Create a “cookbook” of personal favorite/ go-to recipes.
62. Learn how to make 5 classic cocktails.
63. Create a new cocktail recipe.
64. Learn more about wine.
65. Go to a wine tasting.
66. Publish a freelance article in a major publication.
67. Get professional headshots done.
68. Create an editorial calendar. (May 2016)
69. Blog at least twice a week for a month.
70. Redesign the blog. (July 2016)
71. Publish 3 city guides on the blog.
72. Post 3 recipes on the blog.
73. Learn more about photography.
74. Buy a new camera lens.
75. Buy a GoPro.
76. Take a course on Photoshop.
77. Publish 10 YouTube videos. [6/10]
78. Upgrade to Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere.
JUST FOR FUN
79. Go skydiving.
80. Take a salsa class.
81. Get one of my photos featured in Instagram’s Weekend Hashtag Project.
82. Sing karaoke.
83. Learn chess.
84. Learn how to play poker.
85. Learn a song in Russian. (so close!)
86. Watch all the movies on this list. [17/100] 87. Watch 10 new documentaries.
88. Take a painting class. (March 2017)
89. Take a pottery class.
90. Go horseback riding.
91. Go skiing.
92. Go to a concert.
93. Start taking ballet or modern dance again.
94. Organize all my old family photos into albums.
95. Get a massage.
96. Try a DIY project. (August 2016)
97. Go apple-picking. (October 2016)
98. Bake a birthday cake for someone.
99. Host a dinner party for friends.
100. Go to a friend’s wedding.
101. Plant a tree.
Read about my progress here.