101 in 1001 is a list of 101 things to accomplish in 1001 days. The concept was created by Day Zero Project and is based on the idea that the best way to actually accomplish your goals is by making them as specific as possible and adding a time constraint. I heard about the idea from Mackenzie Horan, blogger and owner of Design Darling boutique.
This list is my attempt to do more meaningful things in my life — the kind of things, both big and small, that I say I want to do all the time but that get put on the back burner because of any number of excuses. It’s my hope that posting it here will keep me a little more accountable and that others will join me on the adventure and possibly even be inspired to create their own list.
So when is the big finale? September 29, 2015.
It’s 1001 days from January 1, 2013 when I first posted about the idea. (Scroll past photos for the complete list.)
Come up with 101 things.(January 2013)
- Get my driver’s license.
Visit one of my childhood best friends in London.(September 2015) Fulfill my dream of going to Paris.(September 2015) See my grandfather again.(September 2013 – saw my grandfather for the second time in my life) Take a trip back to Jamaica.(September 2014)
- Go skydiving.
- Read all 37 Shakespeare plays. [4/37]
- Start blogging at least twice a week.
Dress up for Halloween.(October 2014 – Participated in my company’s costume contest. It wasn’t much but it counts!)
- Attend a Coachella concert.
- Organize all my old family photos into albums.
Take my mom to see a Broadway show.(December 2015)
- Grow my hair out to BSL.
Go to a professional sports game.(NJ Devils v. Winnipeg Jets – February 2013) Move into my own apartment.(April 2014) Figure out what I want to do in grad school. (2014)
- Apply to grad school.
- Visit five new states. [3/5 – Texas, Jan ’13; Massachusetts, March ’13, Washington, D.C, April ’15 (this counts, right?)]
Go hiking/camping.(July 2013 – hiking, yes. camping, depends on who you ask) Eat no meat for one week (fish doesn’t count). (March 2013) Try five new foods.[5/5 – churros, foie gras, crème brûlée, peroshki and blincheki!]
- See an opera.
- Throw a surprise party for a friend.
- Write 25 handwritten thank you letters to people who deserve them. [1/25]
- Learn to make five traditional Jamaican foods from scratch. [2/5 – Brown Stew Chicken; Curried Chicken]
- Take a baking class.
- Go to Carlos’ Bakery in Hoboken, NJ.
- Publish a freelance article.
- Get something published in Metropolitan Diary.
- Go apple-picking.
- Master Excel.
- Be able to speak French at least conversationally.
Go on a trip with friends.(July 2013 – Pocono Mountains, PA)
- Improve my posture.
- Develop a workout routine and maintain it for at least 3 months.
- Learn to how code with Code Year.
- Donate blood.
- Take a salsa class.
- Learn how to knit.
Win a category of my company’s cookie contest.(This won’t happen since I neglected to participate twice, and I’m now out of opportunities.)
- See a classical ballet performance.
- Call my relatives at least once a month.
- Reconnect with five old friends. [3/5]
Go to see a Cirque du Soleil performance.(Amaluna – May 2014) Come up with an idea for a book. Read 30 new books, not counting Shakespeare.[31/30; see progress here]
- Spend a day doing touristy things in NYC.
- Get one of my photos featured in Instagram’s Weekend Hashtag Project (#WHP).
Try a cosmopolitan.(May 2013 – thanks, awesome boyfriend!)
- Spend a day with my mom at a spa.
- Sing karaoke.
- Bake 5 new recipes. [1/5]
Conquer the Kingda Ka. (August 2014)
- Add another item from Tiffany and Co. to my collection.
Get my Gmail inbox to 0 unread emails and keep it below 50.
- Bake a birthday cake for someone.
Send out Christmas cards.(December 2013) Host a holiday dinner/party/gathering. (December 2014)
- Carve a pumpkin.
- Play a game of chess.
- Go see Shakespeare in the Park at Central Park.
Have an old-school movie night, complete with couch and blanket.
- Purchase a lottery ticket.
Establish an emergency fund.
- Save for a vacation.
- Study for the
- Learn how to play poker.
- Watch 20 new movies from this list. [1/20]
- Read the Bible regularly.
Do my own taxes.(April 2013)
- Bet money at a casino.
Replace my dying MacBook.(2015)
- Buy the external hard drive I’ve been meaning to get since 2009.
Give thanks every single day for a year. (2014) Get a potted plant for my desk at work.(Thanks again, boyfriend!) Interact with (touch/hold) a bird.(December 2013)
- Go on a self-guided food tour in Jamaica.
- Document the experience (in #79).
- Milk a cow!
- Learn a song in Russian. (so close!)
Create and take on a big project at work.
- Identify a mentor.
- Get to work early (not just on time) every day for 3 months.
- Come up with a strategic business plan for the next two years.
Actually spend New Year’s Eve doing something exciting.(Dec 2014)
- Learn more about wine.
- Spend more time with my sisters.
Dine at Balthazar.[May 2013]
- Volunteer with BuildOn.
Donate to a cause I care about.
- Buy one thing from each of my friends’ Etsy shops. (Let me know if I’m missing anyone!)
- Drive on the highway.
- Go swimming more often.
Go to Laduree in NYC.[October 2013]
- Go to Laduree in Paris.
Create something that I am really proud of.
- Redesign the blog.
- Put away $10 for every goal completed.
- Come up with new goals after 1001 days.
I’ve been blogging about my progress here.