Before New Year’s Day ends, I just wanted to quickly say cheers to 2012. For a few months now, I’ve been saying 2012 was The Year of Jhaneel and I mean that in the least narcissistic way of possible (no need to have a celebration). What I mean is that it’s just been a truly great year for me– the best year of my life that I can remember. All I can see when I reflect are triumphs, and even if there were low moments, they seem extremely minor now. I’m slightly superstitious that talking about it too much will jinx me, but I’m going to hope that’s not the case.
I am so thankful and excited about the even more amazing things to come in 2013, but I realize I can’t sit back and wait for things to happen. So, let me present 101 in 1001 — a list of 101 things I’d like to to do in the next 1001 days, starting today.
1001 days from now will be September 29, 2015, which seems like plenty of time, but if this year was any indication, it’ll fly by way too quickly.
Here are the first 30. I’ll post the rest by the end of the week (if I can come up with 101).
- Get driver’s license.
- Visit my best friend Matthieu in London.
- Finally visit Paris.
- See my grandfather again.
- Plan a trip back to Jamaica.
- Go horseback riding.
- Go skydiving.
- Read all 37 Shakespeare plays.
- Start blogging at least twice a week.
- Dress up for Halloween.
- Attend a Coachella concert.
- Organize all my old family photos into albums.
- Take my mom to see a Broadway show.
- Grow my hair out to BSL.
- Go to a professional sports game.
- Get my own apartment.
- Figure out what I want to do in grad school.
- Apply to grad school.
- Visit five new states.
- Go hiking.
- Eat no meat for one week (fish doesn’t count).
- Try five new foods.
- See an opera.
- Throw a surprise party for a friend.
- Write 25 handwritten thank you letters to people who deserve them.
- Make 5 traditional Jamaican foods from scratch.
- Take a baking class.
- Go to Carlos’ Bakery in Hoboken, NJ.
- Publish a freelance article.
- Go apple-picking.
If you want to join any of these little adventures, or know a way to help me cross them off my list, give me a shout.