Travel Dilemma: Chicago vs. D.C?

I’m planning a little getaway soon and am trying to decide between D.C. and Chicago.ย I’ve never been to either place, but both sound like they have just enough to see on a quiet long weekend. So I’ve been trying to cure my indecisiveness by trolling Instagram all evening for photos of the two cities:

If I make it to D.C., I’ll have missed the cherry blossoms, which peaked this weekend. But paddle-boating across the Tidal Pond sounds like a good consolation prize..

Screen shot 2015-04-12 at 9.02.31 PM

Photo: seanrussoyo

Or, if the weather is good, there’s the promise of long walks by the water’s edge at Chicago’s Riverwalk.

Screen shot 2015-04-12 at 8.23.02 PM

Photo: t0nyeff

Both cities have must-visitย local fare, like the original Georgetown Cupcakes in D.C..

Screen shot 2015-04-12 at 7.51.02 PM

Photo: Molly Marie

Or, Chicago-style deep-dish pizza at Gino’s East.

Screen shot 2015-04-12 at 8.35.11 PM

Photo: Gino’s East

There’s no shortage of art in all 19 of the Smithsonian’s free museums, including The National Gallery of Art..

Screen shot 2015-04-12 at 8.47.23 PM

Photo: Jessica Blair

But, Chicago’s got its own eye candy, like this stunning dome at the Cultural Center.

Screen shot 2015-04-12 at 8.50.16 PM

Photo: Emmi Martini

Have you been to either city? Suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Share:

15 Comments

1. May 5, 2015 / 9:03 am

I visited both as part of a little trip I did from the East to the West coast after uni (I’m originally from England). I must say I saw lots in DC and it was a memorable city, but I’d only go back to Chicago ๐Ÿ™‚ Have you been yet, if so, where did you go in the end?

• May 6, 2015 / 4:24 pm

Ooh, that sounds like a fun trip! I ended up choosing D.C. bc it was warmer and seemed like it had more to do. I do want to go to Chicago though – maybe next year… Would love to hear your suggestions for things to do there!

• May 8, 2015 / 6:14 am

That sounds like good thinking, I did find Chicago quite windy and chilly, I visited in October! If you do go make sure you wander around the Navy Pier and some of the parks, and perhaps see a theatre show as they’ve got a great theatre district. The Sears Tower glass ledge is also awesome!

• May 9, 2015 / 8:20 pm

Thanks, Laura. These are definitely going on my list!

2. April 14, 2015 / 8:12 pm

You’re right it’s a tough decision but I’m sure you’ll enjoy your trip either way! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. April 14, 2015 / 12:29 pm

Funny that you mention this. I was trying to choose a destination to take my parents as a layover city for one day this summer. I had a choice between DC and Chi town. I chose Chicago because of the Field museum. I would love to have taken them to a Cubs game but the timing is off. Good luck!

4. April 14, 2015 / 10:39 am

I went to DC our senior year of college for spring break and was mildly impressed and thought it was boring but that is because I didn’t do enough exploring lol but I’ve never been to Chicago and woul still recommend DC since I just watched Living With Lincoln last night on HBO and am reading Manhunt by James Swanson for book club and have a renewed interest in our fair capital city. =)

• April 14, 2015 / 11:22 am

Haha. And, if you would get to watching House of Cards, you would have even more interest!

5. April 14, 2015 / 10:39 am

6. April 14, 2015 / 8:47 am

I work in DC and have been to Chicago and both are nice places to visit.So, this probably won’t help you make a decision. ๐Ÿ™‚ There is ALWAYS something to do in DC like take in the museums or see a show at the Kennedy Center or the Warner Theater. Both are located near public transportation. Even though the Cherry Blossom peak is this weekend, some of the blooms may still be around when you visit. Either way, spring in the city is beautiful. Chicago has it’s charm as well. I took a trolly tour of the city when I was there where they identified historical landmarks. The Field Museum was also interesting. The food in Chicago was great. However, DC is a more affordable vacation. Chicago was pretty expensive. Good luck!

• April 14, 2015 / 10:49 am

Thanks for your weighing in! I decided on D.C., and I’m excited at the idea that I might still see some of the blossoms. Chicago will be for a future trip. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. April 14, 2015 / 12:08 am

D.C. look more like a charming place based on the images. I haven’t been to either, but both sound like fun!

8. April 13, 2015 / 10:39 am

They are! The first is of Washington, D.C. I’ve been thinking the same thing too. Thanks for weighing in ๐Ÿ™‚

9. April 12, 2015 / 10:58 pm

If I were to choose between the first two photos (are they of different places?) I’d choose the first one. Looks more calmer, “getaway type” to me. ๐Ÿ˜›