It’s that time again. A new month means a clean slate and a new mini bucket list for September.
The last month was an awesome whirlwind. In between trying to figure out a new work routine, I went to Chicago for the first time with my mom, started taking driving lessons, visited the Cloisters Museum which I’ve been wanting to do forever, and so much more. (You can see what else I got up to in August here if you’d like.)
Even though I’ll miss the laid back feeling of summer for sure, I’m kind of excited going into September. It feels like back to school season, even for me. Here are some of the things I’m looking forward to doing this month.
- Take a trip. I don’t know where I’m going and I don’t care. But while Chicago was great, it wasn’t enough. I’m on the look-out for good deals so I can get out of town at least once before September ends.
- Work on my French. It’s a shame that I’m not at least conversational in French by now since I studied it in school for years. Time to crack open that Rosetta Stone kit I bought long ago and never finished!
- Learn to make a traditional Jamaican recipe. While I grew up in Jamaica, I’m sad to say that I didn’t become interested in Jamaican cooking until I was older and had moved to the United States. Now, it’s an ongoing goal of mine to learn to cook all of the foods that I enjoyed as a kid and now can only find in restaurants, unless my mom is in a particularly good mood and feels like spending a day in the kitchen. I’ve made a couple recipes so far with varying degrees of success. This time, I might try my hand at a traditional breakfast, like ackee and saltfish.
- Meditate daily. I put my meditation practice on pause this summer, but I know that it’s something I really need to get back to. I miss that sense of inner quiet that comes after a morning of meditation and I’m looking forward to reintegrating it into my daily routine.
- Learn more about photography. I bought a DSLR earlier this year and I love taking photos, but I’m still struggling with figuring out how to shoot manually and get the look I want. This month, I’d like to really focus on learning the basics.
I’d love to know – what’s on your list for this month?
(Main photo by Margaret Zhang.)